Despite being surrounded by the many people in China and even trying to blend in, however, I did have some happy moments noticing others who are definitely not from China... (and you can guess where-lah):
1. This is the most obvious one. There was this group of tourists who was lead by the tour guide at the bund. He wanted a group photo and just shouted "Malaysia, Malaysia!". They even have the Malaysia flag as their symbol for easy recognition.
Maybe I should have joined in the group photo huh? :)
2. Indian lady & Chinese lady talk in relaxed English (and not American English).
3. A Chinese girl bumped into me, and apologised in English - "sorry".
4. A group of Chinese friends walk pass by at Xintiandi and talk in perfect English.
5. Chinese families speaking in English, once at the hotel, another at a restaurant. In one family, the children were calling 'Daddy' instead of 'Papa'.
And the 'best' one of them all:
6. A Chinese guy was trying to walk through the crowded eatery and kept saying "Excuse me". Well, of course that's a giveaway.
But wait till you hear what his Chinese lady friend says... "Just push them". Did I smirk on that one!