In Malaysia too, we've had stars becoming tourism ambassadors - people like actress Michelle Yeoh & singer Michael Wong (Guang Liang). Even jazz singer Sheila Majid has mentioned a thing or two on spas in Malaysia in some videos.
Then of course there is the cute big eyed Siti Malaysia (don't get mistaken, it's not Datuk Siti Nurhaliza haha - some of you will know why I'm laughing!).
But this virtual Siti Malaysia is new. How about one that is tried & tested. Of course Lat the kampung boy (village boy) comes in mind for a Malaysian cartoon character. But that is for another day.
I was thinking how about the famous strip of It's a Durian Life. Yes, the one done by CW Kee that appears in The Star every other day in the comics section.
Why Durian Life Can Be Malaysia's Ambassador
Firstly it's title of a fruit synonym to Malaysia - raw & spikey it may seem, but nice in the inside - ok, I'm promoting Malaysia here :) (the other version, which I think is the original reason for the title - you can never know what to expect!).
Anyway, here are the reasons why the Durian Life cartoon characters can be the new Malaysian icon:
1. It gives the latest update on Malaysia - good for tourists to know what to expect
2. It promotes multi racial Malaysia - Truly Asia!
3. It promotes Asian (Malaysian) values - caring for the elders
4. It welcomes you to their home - good for Homestay programs
5. It shows loving & caring Malaysians - aren't we a loving lot? :)
So, what do you think? Is this 'durian' good enough for Malaysia? :)